Instructing an agent
Your aim should be to sell your property at the best price possible in the shortest time. As an experienced agent we have excellent up to date knowledge of property values in your area. Ensure an agent can back there valuation up with hard evidence of sold prices in the area. Just as importantly you need to be able to trust the person you will be working with.
Preparing your house for viewings – First Impressions do count
- If you “stage” your home well, you are more likely to sell your home quicker
- Keep it clean and tidy so potential buyers can visualize themselves living there
- Do any minor repairs
- If you want to re-decorate, go for neutral tones, which will appeal to a wider audience
- Get rid of any smells, smoke or pet odours. Open the windows and add finishing touches such as flowers
- Make sure outside is weeded, clean, tidy and looks inviting
- Make it easy for people to see what your home offers, and don’t leave it to them to imagine how it could look when at its best
Marketing your property
To find your perfect buyer you need to give your property maximum exposure across a wide range of media.
When you instruct Equity Living Estate Agents you will benefits from all of the below:
- Interior and exterior photographs
- 3D Floorplan
- Full colour property details
- A ‘For Sale’ board
- Web advertising including Rightmove, On the Market, Facebook and Twitter
- Phone calls/emails to prospective buyers already on our mailing list
- Email and SMS alerts
- Illuminated window display in our office
- Social Media coverage
You must have commissioned an Energy Performance Certificate prior to marketing your property – we can sort this out for you.
We will talk to you to arrange viewings at a mutually-convenient time. If you would like us to carry out the viewings on your behalf we can do this at no extra charge. Our office is open Monday – Saturday. We will phone you with feedback following any viewings.
Accepting an offer
Once you are happy with an offer, you need to formally accept it.
We will financially qualify your buyer confirming they have the funds in place to purchase the property with either cash or a mortgage.
We will then market your property as sold subject to contract.
The sales process
You will now need to instruct a solicitor. The successful sale of your property can be reliant on the instruction of an efficient solicitor – we can help you arrange this.
Your property is now Sold Subject to Contract and it is likely your purchasers will want to arrange a survey.
We will write out to all parties with the details of the sale and any other special arrangements.
You will receive a pack from your conveyancer with requests for information the buyers will need. The quicker you complete and return this, the quicker and smoother the sale process will be.
We will chase the solicitors on a regular basis and keep you updated throughout the sales process.
When you exchange contracts with your buyer you become legally committed to selling the property – and they are legally committed to buying it from you.
You will agree a date for completion.
Now is the time to confirm your removals.
Take final metre readings.
Bring the keys to our office. We will hold them until the solicitor has confirmed that all monies have cleared and we will then release them to your buyer. This normally happens around 1pm.
Now you’re ready to say ‘goodbye’ to your old home, and ‘hello’ to your new property.
Your solicitor will settle your mortgage account for you and also our estate agency fees.
If you are buying and selling at the same time, the solicitor/conveyancer can settle up for both transactions at the same time, including paying stamp duty for the house you are buying.
Your solicitor/conveyancer will ensure that the change of ownership is registered with the Land Registry.